In 1942, almost 13,000 people of Japanese ancestry, many of whom were American citizens, were removed from their homes and sent to a desolate incareration camp"near Twin Falls, Idaho. Today, most of the 33,000 acres that once made up Minidoka has been taken over by farms. However, in 2001, 73 acres along the North Side Canal, and near the entrance to Minidoka has been designated a National Monument. Minidoka Internment National Monument was established in 2001 as the 385th unit of the National Park System to commemorate the hardships and sacrifices of Japanese Americans interned there during World War II. Also known as the 'Hunt Camp', the Minidoka Relocation Center was a 33,000-acre site with over 600 buildings and a total population of about 13,000 incarcerees held from Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. In 1944, the incarcerees harvested 7,300,000 pounds of produce in the surrounding agricultural fields, making the camp completely self sustainable. It was in operation from August 1942 until October 1945.